[RC] Securing Horses - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Howard Bramhall howard9732@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

So I got up and walked down there and in my best teacher voice said, "Hey, put
a rope on that horse before it gets out and gets somebody hurt". They said,
"She's done this before", and I said, "Yeah, well  we've had people almost get
get killed before so put a rope on that horse and tie it up.  Oh, and by the
way, I'm a real bitch when I get angry so you just might want to stay away from
me when I'm on the trail or at my campsite.  I shoot loose horses.  Now, get up
out of that chair and put a rope on your horse and do it now!"

OK, I'm probably gonna get yanked again for this one and John's gonna have to
go and do something deep and inpenetrable to me.  It's just that, where I live
in Tennessee and also in Florida, folks don't go up to strangers and say this
sort of thing unless they're suicidal or psychopaths or, well, just not right
in the head.

I don't think it's the way to act at all.  And, since someone's gonna ask, what
I would do is go up the folks who own the horse, ask if I could join them, and
just sit and talk, with a rope in my hand, watching the horse and eventually
suggesting we settle him down.  In fact, I would offer to do it myself (and, of
course the horse would freak out cause he doesn't know me, break out of his pen
and run down a young child who just happened to be there, and then it would be
all my fault, not the owners).

I'm sorry, but I think going up and yelling at people you don't know is not the
way to go here.  Even if you don't live in Hillbilly Tennessee, where it pays
to be friendly, it's just not something I'd suggest to anyone as a way to
handle this type of situation.

cya,
Howard