Re: [RC] Securing Horses and Internet Etiquette - Karen L.

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Howard Bramhall howard9732@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

So I got up and walked down there and in my best teacher voice said, "Hey, put a rope on that horse before it gets out and gets somebody hurt". They said, "She's done this before", and I said, "Yeah, well we've had people almost get get killed before so put a rope on that horse and tie it up. Oh, and by the way, I'm a real bitch when I get angry so you just might want to stay away from me when I'm on the trail or at my campsite. I shoot loose horses. Now, get up out of that chair and put a rope on your horse and do it now!"

OK, I'm probably gonna get yanked again for this one and John's gonna have to go and do something deep and inpenetrable to me. It's just that, where I live in Tennessee and also in Florida, folks don't go up to strangers and say this sort of thing unless they're suicidal or psychopaths or, well, just not right in the head.

I don't think it's the way to act at all. [snip] ...  I'm sorry, but I think going up and yelling at people you don't know is not the way to go here. Even if you don't live in Hillbilly Tennessee, where it pays to be friendly, it's just not something I'd suggest to anyone as a way to handle this type of situation.

cya,
Howard

Howard,

I have NEVER jumped on the beat Howard bandwagon and criticized you - I tend to think you are even hilarious sometimes, BUT I have to say that you are completely out of line right now.  There is nothing positive to be said for the way you added to Angie's quote to make it look like she said the part in bold quoted above.  You have lost any credibility you might have still had, at least with me, and probably with all of ridecamp.  You have a whole lot of nerve to then go on after pulling that stunt and discuss the etiquette of handling ANY situation and imply that you could do better.  Shame on you Howard!!

I found Angie's approach completely acceptable.  At Chicken Chase last weekend, I firmly suggested to the rider in front of me that she dismount, let all riders pass and then lead her horse for a while.  This rider's horse was very stressed and was backing and bucking.  She was about ready to have a spectacular wreck which probably would have involved all of the horses caught behind her.  Fortunately for everyone, she listened to me and got off of her horse.  Sometimes people are too involved in the situation to think clearly and it takes an outside observer to step in and take over, if need be.  I would rather be outspoken and safe than polite and injured.

I am still shaking my head in astonishment that you are trying to give etiquette advice after the bonehead move you just pulled.  You owe Angie a huge apology.

Karen Lynd
current LD rider, past and future endurance rider, experienced and enthusiastic pit crew and ride camp volunteer