Re: [RC] Riding Alone - Carol Scott

Or you could start to sing....for some reason most people leave when I sing. Carol IL

----- Original Message ----- From: "Diane Trefethen" <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Riding Alone

Dear Dr Q,

Ah yes, how to tactfully get another rider to stop dogging you. The trick is to get HIM to choose not to ride with YOU.

If the other rider caught up to you, the simplest is to just say, "I am having some issues with my horse and would prefer to ride alone. Do you want to ride on ahead or do you want me to?" If you caught up to the other rider, presumably you passed him and he immediately picked up his pace to follow along. Drop down to a walk and if the other rider continues on, your problem is solved. If he drops down to a walk too, decide whether you want him to be ahead of you or behind you. Then make the same statement as above but change the question to either, "May I ride ahead?" or "Could you ride on ahead?", depending on where you want him to be. If these methods result in the other rider continuing to stick with you, you have done "tactful" and may now proceed to boorish.

Ride up close, side by side, and jostle him. Gently but casually push him off the trail saying something like, "My horse needs to learn how to go nicely with other horses." When he protests, look astounded and exclaim, "But I thought you WANTED to help me straighten out some problems with my horse! Have you changed your mind?" If he says yes, you either ride away or ask him to. If he says no, he is giving you permission to continue pushing and jostling him and his horse - not likely.

Now admittedly, that is polite boorish but never fear. There are lots of disgusting boorish things you can do... pick your nose, scratch your crotch, work up a good spit and then "accidentally" hit his horse with it. With your fertile imagination, DQ, I have total confidence that once freed of the shackles of "tactful", you will devise the most fiendish of ploys.

Your faithful friend,
Prof Stork