Re: [RC] Hunt whips for dog control - Milinda Ellis

Hey, Flora!

I just got an email from my friend at Equiteric.  She
said they no longer carry hunt thongs.  Rats!

My husband is supposed to carve me a "walking whip"
from hickory (he likes to whittle but Hell will
probably freeze over before he gets it done).  I'm
beginning to wonder if Bois D'Arc would be a better
choice (it's more flexible -- you can make recurve
bows from it).  I'm not too good to use a draw knife
and make my own.

I'll check out some of those sites you listed.

Milinda
Jewett, Texas

--- Flora Hillman <auriga79@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Unless you are truly into foxhunting --and
want/need/require a stag-horn
handled whip (they can be a bit pricey -

http://www.foxhuntingshop.com/catalog/Hunt_Appointments_Gloves.html
  unless
you buy off e-bay) -- the best hunt whip to carry is
what we call a "walking
whip" or "beagling whip" (see the whips used on the
opening web page
http://www.geocities.com/brbeagles/hollyhill.html.)
 It is really just a
nicely finished & polished 18-20" long wooden stick
with a knob end (for
knocking a wayward hound on the head when it refuses
to pay attention).

The lash is the most expensive part and even cheap
ones (that break too
quickly) sell for over $100.  I buy mine directly
from England where they
are handmade for me.  Actually is cheaper than
trying to by them here and
they last through the heaviest usage.  Equiteric
(http://www.horseloverz.com/) used to have the
walking  (short & thin)
lashes  for about $30 (?) (I used to buy them by the
armload for our whole
staff for walking out the pack), but...I haven't
seen them in a long time.
However, they are way too short for chastising a
hound (or dog) from
horseback.

A lunge whip thong

(http://www.tackinthebox.com/tack/schooling/WH4130.htm)
is cheap and pretty effective alternative, although
at 120" long it will
take a longer swing and more force to get that crack
than a regular hunting
lash.

A quickie all-in-one hunt whip can be made by taking
a lunge whip and
cutting the handle down to about 20-21" (usual
length for a man's hunting
whip).  Duct tape the end to prevent fraying, and
you have a ready-made whip
for riding.  You can let the lash dangle down the
horse's side while
hacking, or (as foxhunters do) coil it in two loops
with the lash end
dangling and hold  coils/ whip your hand along with
your rein.  Takes a bit
of getting used to... but once you do it will be
unnatural NOT to have that
whip in your hand while riding. :-)

I would never suggest getting a woman's or child's
whip -- they are too
flyweight to do anything other than make so-so
cracks and are designed for
the walking length lashes.  They really only are for
show, do not give the
rider the support for cracking the long staff
lashes, and break or fracture
if not handled with care.   A man's whip is best --
it is designed to be
solid and thick enough to really support a long lash
into creating a hard,
very loud crack as the lash is flicked then snapped
at the speed of sound.

I would also never use a slingshot.  That requires
two hands to operate, and
I want one hand on the rein at all times when
dealing with a nasty dog
coming at me.

http://mail.yahoo.com