[RC] Hunt whips for dog control - Flora Hillman

Unless you are truly into foxhunting --and want/need/require a stag-horn handled whip (they can be a bit pricey - http://www.foxhuntingshop.com/catalog/Hunt_Appointments_Gloves.html   unless you buy off e-bay) -- the best hunt whip to carry is what we call a "walking whip" or "beagling whip" (see the whips used on the opening web page http://www.geocities.com/brbeagles/hollyhill.html.)   It is really just a nicely finished & polished 18-20" long wooden stick with a knob end (for knocking a wayward hound on the head when it refuses to pay attention).

The lash is the most expensive part and even cheap ones (that break too quickly) sell for over $100.  I buy mine directly from England where they are handmade for me.  Actually is cheaper than trying to by them here and they last through the heaviest usage.  Equiteric (http://www.horseloverz.com/) used to have the walking  (short & thin) lashes  for about $30 (?) (I used to buy them by the armload for our whole staff for walking out the pack), but...I haven't seen them in a long time.  However, they are way too short for chastising a hound (or dog) from horseback.

A lunge whip thong (http://www.tackinthebox.com/tack/schooling/WH4130.htm) is cheap and pretty effective alternative, although at 120" long it will take a longer swing and more force to get that crack than a regular hunting lash.

A quickie all-in-one hunt whip can be made by taking a lunge whip and cutting the handle down to about 20-21" (usual length for a man's hunting whip).  Duct tape the end to prevent fraying, and you have a ready-made whip for riding.  You can let the lash dangle down the horse's side while hacking, or (as foxhunters do) coil it in two loops with the lash end dangling and hold  coils/ whip your hand along with your rein.  Takes a bit of getting used to... but once you do it will be unnatural NOT to have that whip in your hand while riding. :-)

I would never suggest getting a woman's or child's whip -- they are too flyweight to do anything other than make so-so cracks and are designed for the walking length lashes.  They really only are for show, do not give the rider the support for cracking the long staff lashes, and break or fracture if not handled with care.   A man's whip is best -- it is designed to be solid and thick enough to really support a long lash into creating a hard, very loud crack as the lash is flicked then snapped at the speed of sound.

I would also never use a slingshot.  That requires two hands to operate, and I want one hand on the rein at all times when dealing with a nasty dog coming at me.