[RC] Horse went who knows where at auction.... - Steve Shaw

Once, many years ago, Emmett Ross and I bought some horse items at distress. The owner had been a 40 plus year old man who wanted to get into endurance riding. He also thought he could breed endurance horses. He had a double WietezII Stallion, three mares, a fancy, top of the line trailer and the best english saddle made (Stuben, Segfreid?? spelling? we'll ask Barbara McCrary).

Well, the young man was out jogging one morning and dropped dead. His wife was selling everything horse wise (she said that when she found out how much he had spent on everything, she would have killed him anyways. )

Emmett and I bought the BEAUTIFUL stallion, the saddle and the horse trailer which still had nubs on the tires it was so new. I think we paid $3,500 for all three. We tried the saddle a few times, but couldn't adjust to it so we traded it to Barbara McCrary. I wish I had it back as it was nearly brand new then and we didn't know what it would be worth in the future. The trailer was great. The horse, after a number of months training and just one ride was not something two novices could deal with and with the cost of castration and work demands we decided to sell him at the Norco livestock auction, hoping for $2,000 he was SO typey. We washed him up and he literally gleamed with a copper sheen. Just before leading the stallion out into the ring Emmett felt what he thought was a nail in the fence poke him in the back. No, the horse had grabbed him in the back with its teeth! I think we got $400 for him, at the going rate per pound and we didn't care in the least where he ended up. He was a snot from day one.
Steve Shaw