Re: [RC] Allergies in horses - Mary Sutliff

Our experience with an allergic horse has been that once the allergies
are activited it is a constant battle to keep them at bay.  Our gelding
first reacted to alfalfa at age 3 when we got a load of hay that was
about 10% alfalfa.  He broke out in hives, was itchy and grumpy.
(Wouldn't you be?)  We got rid of that hay but other things started to
give him a reaction.  We had him skin tested and had the blood work.
The results were very similar.  He is now allergic to most hays.
Timothy is ok.  Sometimes just a change in the weather brings out the
hives.  Winter is the worst time for him.  Through trial  and error we
have discovered that Pre-Ox made by HorseTech is a supplement that
helps.  It has flax seed base and is full of antioxidents.  Also MSM
every day helps.  When he needs an antihistimine we use hydrozine(sp?)
and sometimes if he has a really bad outbreak he gets steriods.  A shot
followed by the liquid for a few days.  Rico is now six and this has
been his best winter in awhile.  Another thing that seems to help is to
keep a blanket, rain sheet or fly sheet on him.  The hives never crust
up and he has never lost any hair.  We tried herbs with no success.
Rico was born here, we have his Mom and she's never had any problems
with allergies nor has the sire.
Having an allergic horse is a real challenge!