[RC] Al's tush - agilbxr

Well, the University of Florida's Mobile Vet unit checked out Alpine today via ultrasound to insure he was good to go post bowed tendon.  It was a very interesting visit.  Dr. Porter has vetted endurance rides, so he know's what I'm looking to do with my horse.

He found some scaring in the body of the suspensory ligament on that hind leg, but it is healed and probably as good as it's going to get.  We have been given the official go ahead to ride, but to watch it cause he could reinjure pretty easily.

What was really interesting was what he said about the torn muscle in Al's butt.  When Alpine hurt his leg originally, he fell in a hole and sat on his hind end, dog style, with his right hind up underneath him.  He came up with a torn muscle in his butt and the bowed suspensory.  When we had our vet out originally, he wasn't too concerned about the muscle, said it would heal.

According to Dr. Porter, this is what might limit Alpine's distance riding career.  The muscle has herniated.  He called it fibrotic.  Apparently, on some horses, these get sore after 10 miles or so of work, and will make the horse go off.  But, he said it's kind of a wait and see how he does.  He recommended a diet (Alpine is FAT.  He has come home from where he was rehabbing looking like he's about to give birth).  and some long, very slow, distance.

Let the walking begin.  Poor starving Paso...

Juli and the herd
Alpine (WHAT DO YOU MEAN DIET????)
Spot (hahahaha, it's not me this time)
Merlin (mom says I'm too skinny cause I don't eat all my food.)