Re: [RC] Dogs that Attack - Truman Prevatt

WRSINOSKY@xxxxxxx wrote:

Truman wrote,
"Dog confrontations can be dangerous - depending on the dog.  Most of the
time you can face down a dog with a horse, but it is not 100 percent. I
alway take any dog confronting my horse very seriously - it may be a
game to them but it is not to me. I will chase it yelling and might even
throw a water bottle at it. I do not want another confrontation and I
will take take a permeative approach and go after the dog chasing it
away even before he shows any aggressive behavior to prevent one. If he
shows no sign of backing off, I'll quickly (a human can deal with a dog
much better on the ground than a horse's back) dismount and go after him
- that usually does it.

If your horse gets attack by a dog - my advice is to have no mercy
either on the dog or owner. It really gets down to a people problem."

I'm in total agreement...right up to the part about dismounting. At that point you can become the target.

I'd much rather get off my self where I can set up and get my trusty hunting knife ready than have the horse spin and split leaving we laying on the ground as a sitting duck. The mistake I made with my first incident with an aggressive dog was to stay on. I ended up on the ground anyway and it was my good fortune that the dog chased the horse instead of coming after me.

A strategically placed 4 inch knife can pretty well talk care of a dog in short order - at least in the hands of a 180 pound male. I don't know about a 135 pound female. However, a .38 will do it.

Truman

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell