[RC] [RC] crab grass and alfalfa mix - Sherman

I just saw crab grass at Home Depot in CA. I wanted to get it for our mucky spots, but my hubby wouldn't let me. Actually, just about our entire 5 acres is mucky now due to the 4 mos of rain we've had,  but at least there is an end (or at least a week of no rain) in sight now. Maybe I'll go back & get some of that crabgrass. It surely couldn't invade our lawn any more than all the other weeds that try to reclaim it as theirs. What do you think?

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA

Crabgrass is great for pastures and makes some really great hay.  It has
good nutritional value (better than bermuda) and horses love it.  I was
lucky in that last year was pretty wet where I am at and my hay supplier had
a Russell bermuda field that was nearly taken over by crabgrass.   He was
worried that I would not buy the hay (I have been buying Russell bermuda
from that field from him in years past).  I was thrilled to know that it was
mostly crabgrass with a bit of bermuda mixed in (he thought I had lost my
mind).  You have to be careful with crabgrass and make sure that it has
dried out properly before it is baled.  It can take it a bit longer because
it is pretty coarse.

I have been trying to see if I could find some crabgrass seed to overseed my
pastures with.  I have not had much luck since most places sell stuff that
is designed to get rid of crabgrass!

Here is a good link on forage types for GA - it has a blurb about crabgrass
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1224.htm

Hope this helps!

Mel