Re: [RC] Horse Slaughter - Diane Trefethen

This subject has morphed into a number of separate discussions: the way to end the life of a devoted animal member of the family, should horses be slaughtered for human consumption (dog food yes, human food no?), what constitutes humane slaughter, are sore horses = food stuff. Sticking with just Horse Slaughter:

While we all should strive to do what we feel is right and when reasonable work for laws to those ends, we also need to remember that a religious dictate is applicable only to those who believe in that religion and that a cultural dictate applies only to those of that culture. In the United States, for better or for worse, we are a community of varying faiths and cultures. Our strength is in our diversity. When your rabbi forbids eating pork, that doesn't mean eating pork is forbidden to your Catholic neighbor. Most of us do not eat dogs but we have sizable populations here for whom dogs are a valid food. People on this list love horses but there are many for whom horses are food, not friends. As Americans, we have a responsibility to preserve our freedoms for all our citizens, not just the ones who look like us or believe like us.

I would like to see most of the effort being devoted to stopping the slaughter of horses for food be diverted to making the transportation and slaughter of ALL animals be more humane and dignified. While eating horses may or may not be a deal killer at the Pearly Gates, causing the suffering of another living being will most assuredly work against gaining admission.