[RC] Horsekeeping - Bruce Weary DC

When I was in school, I had a classmate, Stephanie, who was also a single mother, and she waited tables to help work her way through school. Some 25 years later, I still remember her complaining about a customer she had waited on and who didn't leave a tip. Stephanie lamented, "If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to dine out." I heartily agree with this statement, and am reinforced in it whenever I see someone who is attempting to do something "on a shoestring," but in reality many times are in over their heads, and avoiding legitimate expenses and responsibilities of being involved in the first place. In our sport, I might see it in someone pulling an unsafe trailer with an underqualified tow vehicle. Or not really going to the adequate time and expense to strengthen and condition a horse to prepare him for an endurance ride, but asking him to complete the distance anyway. Or not shoeing the horse frequently enough. All to save a few bucks and have what we want anyway.
In this discussion about disposing of aging horses, I would hope we give some thought to that before we even first take possession of that horse. My decade horse is now with a friend who will ride him and enjoy him to the end of his days, and will end his life humanely when the time comes. He will never be alone or without love and caring. That should be our ultimate goal whenever possible. If one is either unable or unwilling to work toward that end, one's candidacy for horse ownership is in doubt, in my mind. There are plenty of non-kill horse rescue organizations, equine schools, and even prisons to consider bequeathing your horse to before you ask him to face a fearful and painful demise, especially after years of faithful service. As Stephanie would probably say, "If you can't afford dessert, maybe you can't afford dinner in the first place." Bruce Weary