Re: [RC] Calories burned riding--advice - Jon . Linderman

First, weight does not equal calories.  For example, I worked with a human ultramarathon runner during his assault on the 24 hour world record.  He lost no "weight" during 24 hours of continuous running.  And perhaps somewhat disconcerting for those who think they will lose a tremendous amount of fat by working out, he burned less than 2 pounds of fat in 24 hours.  I'll save you the calculations but its right, trust me, its my job.  Humans by and large are very poor at using fat compard to species like dogs, rats, and horses.  However, sweat loss can be pretty substantial in terms of weight.  We can sweat anwhere from perhaps 0.5 to well over 3L/hour, but the later only if you are really BIG.  Over the course of 15-18 hours of riding, perhaps losing 0.5L/hour and then replacing only a portion of that a 4 pound weight loss due to water would not be out of the ordinary.  I am assuming that your "gain" of 5 pounds was repalcing the 4 you lost during the ride and 1 more for good measure.    Lets say you go to the gym, pound the treadmill for an hour and "lose" 5 pounds.  You'd be dillusional to think you just burned over 17,000 calories of fat, since an ultramarthon runner used only about 5,000 running for 23 hours longer......its mostly water loss & your loss gain/ was/is mostly fluid loss.

Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM
Associate Professor of Health and Sport Science
University of Dayton

Susan <glenn218@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

04/10/2006 10:19 AM