Re: [RC] itchy and scratchy - Barbara McCrary

I refuse to allow my horse to rub on me. He must wait until I remove the bridle and then he can rub on the hitching rack. If he tries to rub on me, I bop him one the nose. I think it is a baaaaad habit and it could be dangerous. I remember years ago, being warned by the ride manager about not leading one's horse up to the edge of a hot spring (160 degrees), for fear the horse might decide to rub on the rider's back and push the rider into the spring. That made a huge impression on me.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>
To: <jonnij@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 4:07 PM
Subject: [RC] itchy and scratchy

I'm curious Angie, if your itchy horses are allowed to sometimes rub
their heads on you, or something else when you are working with them.

I think sometimes I TEACH them to be worse. When I was a kid I told my mom the dogs liked me best because I figured out where they itched and scratched if for them. I think I'm still trying to make animals like me best that way. First thing I do when I get off my horse is start scratching his head for him. I try to get all the worst spots, by his mouth, under his chin, around the ears. I used to turn my back and let my big App or Kaboot just rub for all they were worth. As you can imagine, I never had to worry about an itch I couldn't reach. Just turn my back and my horses will get it for me. Trouble was halter bridles have too many buckles and that hurts so I started just rubbing them good with my hands.