Re: [RC] itchy and scratchy - RDCARRIE

I don't let my horses rub on me.  I'll scratch them if they're itchy, and after a ride I'll remove the headstall and give them a few moments to rub and scratch on whatever's handy (other than me) before haltering them.  But they get a smack if they try to rub on me.  My current horse thought he'd figured out that he could get away with rubbing on me in the P&R box, since I initially tried to correct him verbally (not wanting to raise his pulse).  At a recent ride, I went ahead and smacked him.  The P&R guy said better watch out, you'll raise his pulse...I said fine with me, he needs to learn that it's not safe to rub on me *anywhere.*  <G>  Not only is it uncomfortable for me to have him rubbing on me, but it's not fair to the P&R person (or vet) to have to deal with a horse whose body is gyrating as he's rubbing.

Dawn in East Texas
and Bear (dang...can't get away with nothin' nowhere...)