[RC] itchy and scratchy - rides2far

I'm curious Angie, if your itchy horses are allowed to sometimes rub
their heads on you, or something else when you are working with them.

I think sometimes I TEACH them to be worse. When I was a kid I told my
mom the dogs liked me best because I figured out where they itched and
scratched if for them. I think I'm still trying to make animals like me
best that way. First thing I do when I get off my horse is start
scratching his head for him. I try to get all the worst spots, by his
mouth, under his chin, around the ears. I used to turn my back and let my
big App or Kaboot just rub for all they were worth. As you can imagine, I
never had to worry about an itch I couldn't reach. Just turn my back and
my horses will get it for me. Trouble was halter bridles have too many
buckles and that hurts so I started just rubbing them good with my hands.

Now I'm a little more structured. I insist they not rub until I offer. I
checked, and Kaboot's pulse actually goes *up* when he's scratching his
head so I make him stay at arm's length when the pulse takers are taking
his pulse.  I'll bet that if I dealt with your horses for awhile I'd love
every minute of it...but when I've got on a good pair of gripper gloves
and can hold my hands up and let my horse just have a rub fest...I can't
resist. Just because yours don't scratch doesn't mean they don't itch.
g< I figure if I could put a really simple bridle on him that a little
less itching would be appreciated on his part.

By the way, mine are so thoroughly spoiled now that they'll walk up in
the field and present the spot they want scratched. Some would take it as
a threat. I may start out scratching Kaboot's neck & withers, then he'll
turn his butt to me and back up. If I give him a good scratching on both
sides of the base of his tail, he'll get to swinging his rump back and
forth like he's dancing. >G<

Angie