Re: [RC] Come back Shane ! - Sisu West Ranch

."... Always carry a rump rug. ..."

And lots of blankets, and lots of waterproof blankets etc.  If you were to look into a horse trailer of someone who rides early and late season rides where there is often cold rain and/or snow, you would find more blankets than you have ever seen.

The blankets are more important than the rump rugs.  You can run fast, come into camp warm enough to not need a rump rug, as long as you blanket heavily right away.

I also recommend always removing the saddle as soon as you hit camp, and if necessary putting blankets on.  The reason is that a blanket over a saddle allows air to circulate and cool.  This change of proceedure allowed a friends horse to complete a cold FEI 100 when the mare almost vetted out from chill on the first vet check.

I can sympathize with your wife's mare who doesn't go slowly.  I have that problem with Stevie Ray.  We will continue to work on rating, but I do expect that he will always insist on a 10-12 mph trot.

Since I will be raising my next endurance horse from the ground up (we take his mom to be inseminated this afternoon), I should have less of a problem with him.

Ed

PS.  I have ordered a half Arab, half Saddlebred, Bay or Chestnut colt with 4 black feet, no white, a great disposition, superior conformation, 15 2" to 15 3", 36 resting pulse, smooth trot, and tough as nails .  Wendy ordered her grey colt three years ago, and so far he is just what she wanted, so I figure: Why not?
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640