[RC] Come back Shane ! - Dfarnham09

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your post, but first I have some clarifying to do.

First, as I said this has been a learning process for us. Renee' did ride two fifties in 2003. She and Rosie were doing the slow, "learn by doing" thing. The first one was a flop.
The mare finished but cramped...dumb mistake on our part. It was nice and warm at the beginning or the race, but the temperature dropped approximately twenty five degrees by the finish. We had not brought a rump rug. The vet gave us thirty minutes to rub the cramp out, but it took me forty five minutes. So she was pulled. The second fifty she did really slow and just didn't enjoy herself., and that was the end of slow,. OJT  for the Farnham family. 2004 was spent training racehorse style. Renee' and Rosie competed in one LD. Renee's mom (74 at the time, I believe) came up from Florida to do a twenty five, and Renee' decided to ride with her mom. The four of them were in last place at the break. It had come a very cold rain during the freezing rain during that first loop of fifteen miles, and Renee's mom decided that she just was too cold and cramping to go on. Of course Rosie was becoming quite fit; so, when they took off in last place after the break, they managed to catch up to Top Ten (tenth place) by the finish. Charging off was a great release for both Rosie and Renee'. By 2005, Rosie and Renee' were fit and ready to have a fun season. Sorry if I mislead anyone. But I believe that I that they won their first fifty milers in the 2005 season. If I didn't I should have.

Anyway, Things I have learned:

1. Always carry a rump rug.

2. Bruce, you are right. Picking the right, gifted equine athlete is a whole lot of it...then again I learned that from the TB's. I think it's even more important in distance racing because it takes so long to develop a competitive horse. It would be very disappointing and sad to invest three or so in a horse to come to the conclusion that he/has no talent or a physical or mental flaw that is a "deal" breaker.

3. Never take more than a horse is willing to give. My teacher was a master, or should I say mistress of knowing, when to quit  Never urge the horse beyond what he/she wants to offer, and add the speed and distance as the horse offers it. And don't go back to that exercise effort/musculo-skeletal group until the horse has fully recovered, tail over back, snorting and generally feeling great.  In essence, stress and then rebuild. This is where crosstraing and good pasture turnout are so important.  It's a long road, but you don't ever want the horse to associate you or the activity with pain or force. The bones and musculature will remodel to adjust to the task at hand...if given the time. Be sure to feel the legs and the joints before and after each session, and to not return to any activity before everything is cool.

4. Beware of stall courage, overfeeding, adrenaline. They make you and the horse think that it  is much  more fit than it actually is and create the perfect environment for injury...physical and/or mental.

Now I must return to lurkdom for serious. My wife has threatened me with divorce if I ever post on ridecamp again...and she ain't kiddin'.

Adios,

Dennis