[RC] Philosophy and goals in distance riding ! - Carolyn Burgess

It's funny how different disciplines view each other.  I was at Fairhill several years ago and the same time the endurance ride is going on, they are doing 3 day eventing. They start the 3 day on Thursday, so we had plenty of time to hang around and watch the events before our ride.  We were talking to some of the eventers and their families and we were asked if we were allowed to "walk the course" before the ride.  We sort of looked at them funny, and they said, "That isn't allowed?"  We replied that I guess you could if you wanted to, but why would you want to walk 50 miles?  They asked then how do you know what the course will be like.  Our reply, we didn't know what it was going to be like, that is half the fun, or challenge of this sport.  They thought we were nuts that we would go onto a course that we didn't know every inch of.

It was funny.  The eventers thought the endurance riders were nuts, but we KNEW that the eventers were nuts!

Carolyn Burgess