RE: [RC] Philosophy and goals in distance riding ! Long! - Tracey Lomax

Tiffany wrote:

>>I'm not trying to be flippant, I am curious why people have that idea that endurance is dangerous for horses.

Ignorance.  Most showjumpers / eventers / dressage riders think that an “outride” is a necessary evil, preferring to school and/or jump.  So they have no idea what goes into endurance, thinking that it’s just riding a horse a very long way!!

I see it on people’s faces when I tell them that my favourite website is Ridecamp….”you belong to an ENDURANCE site!  Why????”  And when I try to explain to them that it’s because endurance folk know more about feeding, shoeing, conditioning, training and maintaining an equine athlete than other horsemen, they just don’t get it.

But then, IME, most riders are not horsemen.

My chosen disciplines are eventing and showjumping.  For a number of reasons, one of which being that I’m mad about TBs and they’re just no damned good for endurance J

Having said that, there is good and bad in every sport, and I’ve met some fine horsemen in every discipline.  It’s unfortunate that so little is known about endurance.  It’s not exactly a “spectator sport” which doesn’t help.

Y’ll just keep right on doing what you do so that we eventers / dressage queens / showjumpers on the list can keep learning from you.

Tracey

(who should probably lurk a whole heap more than she should but never quite manages to learn how)