Re: [RC] "roaring" mare - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Dawn,

  I have had experience with this.  My best mare ever developed the problem from a snake bite.  It can come from an infection in the head area (at least that is what my vet said at the time).  We took her to have the surgery, which was suppose to be "routine".  BUT, she was an odd case, a Right sided Roarer....most are left sided.  Anyway the surgery went well, but in recovery she never could stand on the front end.  Seems that they somehow "mis-cut"  a nerve.  There are some major nerves that run thru the same area they work in.  After over 24 hours of struggling, trying to keep her in a sling, you name it...we had to put her down.  It was awful.  Would hate to see anyone else's horse go thru that.  She was 9 years old, in the best racing shape, and had won the last 8 or 9 rides with BC at ALL of them she had attended.  Was on board and favored to win the ROC that fall.

So, good luck, sorry that I don't know anything about the after recovery...I only wish I had gotten to that point.

Jody

Dawn Simas <dawnsimas67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this condition?  Also known as "laryngeal hemiplegia".  I've heard that there are a few surgery options, but am wondering about complications for eating and drinking post-operative, and if they are realistic options for a riding horse.  Or if retiring her to broodmare status is best.  Or if it's hereditary and she shouldn't be bred either.  I'm asking for someone else and will pass along any info.  Thank you!
Dawn