Re: [RC] Shagya ride - been outed ! - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Concerning my endurance experience, I am an endurance groom (hostage - chains
of love) for my wife. I trained my wife's anglo-arab mare, Gallant
Rose...three, fifty mile wins in a row last season.  I am also a licensed, TB
racing trainer...been inactive for >a while but was a winning trainer.

Dennis,

I had some strong opinions when I first got into endurance and let everyone
know them. As time has gone on, I've looked back and often hope that nobody
remembers that was me. You obviously have a lot of experience with horses and
if you're open to some things being different in endurance (and some the same)
you'll have a head start on some of us who don't have your non-endurance
experience. I surely won't give you any advice in the dressage or racing area.
I've definately gone through stages of thinking since I got into endurance. My
family ran a few horses on small tracks (Pompano, River Downs) and I thought
the "winners" were first to finish when I got into endurance. My goal was to be
towards the front. That was fun...but when that horse you really value wears
out you start looking back and wondering if he'd have lasted longer with more
consistant solid finishes. Now I want to push my horse and myself without the
risk of so much speed so I like to move up to 100's and stay at a safer pace.
Some people continue to have the drive to be in front, and will simply buy
another to train to go to the front, but a lot of riders...after having had a
top contender drop back and have a goal of making the next one last forever.
There's room for all the different attitudes.

I know you've gotten pretty ticked with me but I really don't mind *just yet*.
There's a good chance that if we were in person talking you wouldn't have taken
it as harshly. Judging from the link Heidi sent on your club looks like
everyone's coming at endurance from the right perspective and learning the
ropes. My first impression was of a breed organization throwing a
"championship" out there that could draw riders who had never done endurance
and setting the bar low enough that they might try to "go for the win". I do
find it surprising that someone who has run a horse hard enough to have three
consecutive 50 mile wins would be in favor of a 25 mile Championship. If
Gallant Rose were a Shagya, would you want the distance to be 25?

Angie McGhee