RE: [RC] Shagya ride - been outed ! - heidi

Please Reply to: Dennis Farnham dfarnham09.aol.com or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Heidi,

You sly dog...you tracked me down! I am an associate member of ASAV because I
do not own a Shagya bred horse. My wife owns a long yearling, Anglo-Shagya
gelding. Concerning my endurance experience, I am an endurance groom (hostage
- chains of love) for my wife. I trained my wife's anglo-arab mare, Gallant
Rose...three, fifty mile wins in a row last season.  I am also a licensed, TB
racing trainer...been inactive for a while but was a winning trainer. Hope to
have two back in the game by fall. And I am a thirty plus year, serious
student of dressage. There's more, but let's not bore everyone. I have no axe
to grind concerning the Shagya...I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone.
The long yearling colt in our barn is there because I think he is a terrific
young horse...smart, strong, precocious, handy and very fast...and I do know
fast from not fast...not because he is an Anglo-Shagya. I haven't tried to
force my training opinions on anyone...or even held myself out as having
anything to offer concerning training distance racehor
ses.

I do like to know who I'm talking to, Dennis.  And I can certainly
respect your capabilities.

The only thing I have commented on is unsolicited rudeness.

And here's where we part company.  What rudeness?

Below is Angie's first post concerning the ASAV ride in conjunction with Top
of the ROCK.

Angie said:

"Good grief. I thought the Shagya folks have talked all big about breeding
great endurance horses.  If their "Eastern side of the Mississippi River
Championship" is 25 miles, how are we supposed to get the impression that
the people running their show have a clue what endurance is?"

Yep, that's the same post I read.

Now please someone tell me what I'm misinterpreting. I simply read that as
being rude, snotty and condescending. If I am wrong in my interpretation, I
certainly apologize.

Yes, Dennis, you were wrong.  :-)  But that's ok--apologies go a long
way.  :-)  Angie was simply asking how a 25-mile ride can be seriously
billed as a championship, when 1) it is not endurance at all, and when
2) you are riding a breed that is historically well known for endurance
and you want the result to showcase the breed.  Let me take another run
at a comparison for you.  I'm not all that smart about the dressage
world, so let's say we hear all about these terrific dressage horses,
and then the folks say, "Oh, yeah, he won the training level
championship."  Should we really take that as a compliment to a horse
that has Grand Prix capabilities?  Angie is trying to help you keep
from making the same mistake.  And she did it because she cares about
horses.  Take it for what it's worth--don't read more into it than what
is there.  Sometimes it is really nice to have folks around who are
blunt and frank enough to tell you that your fly is open--instead of
letting you parade down the street that way.  If they didn't care,
they'd keep their mouths shut and snicker.

By the way, I post as a ridecamp guest because I haven't figured out how to
get a post how work any other way. This time I really won't be bothering
everyone with my comments on this subject, and once again, ASAV, best of luck
on a successful, enjoyable and educational ride at Top of the Rock.

I won't claim expertise about e-matters--I've heard that there's a way
you can get to post directly if you go to the endurance.net site, and I
apparently managed to figure it out once upon a time because I'm here,
but I don't claim to be a champion...  If you get my drift...

And had "successful, enjoyable, and educational" been the goals listed
for the ASAV 25-miler instead of "championship" you would have gotten a
standing ovation from all of us.

Heidi