RE: [RC] Shoot the Clones - Not - Tracey Lomax

Ed wrote:

>.  While cloned horses conceiveably improve the average or typical horse (assuming that cloning does eventually produce healthy copies), by its nature it can not improve the best examples of a breed.

Oh, I dunno…let’s “unpack” this concept, shall we (as my old Jurisprudence lecturer used to say).

I have a horse who is really difficult.  Having said that, I acquired him at a time when I was phenomenally, embarrassingly green.  As a result, I made more cock-ups than can be found in a strip club at a bachelor’s party.

Now, I can only wonder what would happen if I could clone this horse and start afresh, with insight into his temperament coupled with years more experience…..just thinking about it is exciting.

So whilst you might not be able to improve on genetics, we have learned so much more about soundness and training and nutrition that it’s arguable that a clone might just turn out better than it’s “sire/dam/ancestor”.

Tracey

(who loves a good debate)