Re: [RC] Needle gauge - Jeannie Gillen

I learned the hard way.....had first horse in cross ties and straight neck....the muscles were too tight and he swelled up at injection sites....next horse, got carrots and flexed neck....his injection sites were fine....personally, I like the butt best as the muscles there are usually pretty relaxed at rest.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Needle gauge

Hi Folks: I use the slap method, against the area ( not to hard) a few times until the critter decides that it is nothing to worry about.

I also wash the area with 70% alcohol and then just put the needle in with a quick movement then affix the pre-loaded needle (Inter Muscular) and then after the injection is finished. I alcohol wash again, as I rub the area in a circular motion, so that what ever was injected is distributed in the muscle, while praising the critter and a give a reward of a handful of grain, ect. (Note: before any injection, always draw up on the syringe to make sure the needle is not in a blood vessel.)

hope this helps
Steven Proe