[RC] horses and needles - smuncy

   Rule of thumb  - use smallest needle to deliver med. that can do  'job' efficiently - with most vaccines, clear, thin liquids - to give IM can get by with 1" 22g needle. (14. 16. 18g are larger than 20. 21g, etc.  ( IMO - other  smaller needles < 22 g, are to flimsy to use on horses, risk bending or breaking. and you do not to want to go trying to find a broken needle.) With thicker meds - ie, Penicllins, or those more irritating to tissue that need to  be deeper IM use 1 1/2" needle, and  the thicker  the solution the bigger bore needle - ie, at least 18 g.  Granted I have not had to give Penicillin for several years ( knock on wood ); I would go with larger gauge needle - much easier to push in resonable time -< 1/2 minute( even after warming  med in hand) , than stand there trying to get horse to stand still while tried to push med through smaller gauge needle,  having them move around with needle in muscle - bending needle, etc. Most penicillin I used for horses was procaine Pen - ?? had numbing agent with it, but still uncomfortable, (people c/o hurts like hell);  if over 10 cc and some will say over 5 or 6cc, need to divide dose - use different sites. ( I always gave up to 10 cc one site, and rotated sites, each injection,)   And use different site each time you give injection. Your vet can advise you.  Whether to tap/swat area first; or to gently grap pinch of skin and inject - depends on expetise with needle and personal preference and horses' reaction to 'shots'.  I have some I can tap few times with hand and 'slap needle in' and aspirate and inject, and  one  that does better if I go little slower, pinch area and inject needle, attach syringe and aspirate and inject.
   A far as thread on irritating electrolytes - give 'alittle'  less  and more ferquent - I agree probably best, and mixed with 'something'  applesauce, baby food carrots, peaches, etc; also sometimes,  I added mylanta, similair antacid -( sure someone will yell foul ), but not enough to make difference except to cut acidity of electrolyes. And have no qualms about doing such.... also, have added jello to mix - just a little sugar - helps transport of electrolytes, and often horse needed some extra 'sugar' at  the time. Not much different than using product like 'carbo charge' ...?? do they even still have that,?  can mixed with e lytes, too.  Stephanie M