Re: [RC] [RC] Ol' Time E'olytes - Truman Prevatt - Joe Long

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:35:41 -0500, Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I've worked many a rides in my day. When you see a horse in stress and
new riders telling the vets they didn't give electrolytes because they
read they shouldn't on ride camp - it can get a bit frustrating. Here
they have some of the best vets in the country they can ask. They have
vets that have been vetting rides and treating horses at rides for years
in the conditions right there at their disposal, but for some reason
they don't bother to take advantage of that knowledge. I've never known
a ride vet to not spend time with new riders answering their questions.

But for some reason people are taking their ques from ridecamp.
Something just doesn't make sense in this picture. Reading the current
incarnation of "electrolytes" - this subject is starting to take on the
"religious fervor"  of the "barefoot wars" more than the a logical
discussion.

Sorry to say this, Truman, but the ONLY posts I've seen on this subject that
have a "religious fervor" to them have been from you.  You've been insisting
that large quantities of e-lytes are necessary for all horses if they ride in
the Southeast, and that anyone suggesting otherwise is endangering horses.  For
the most part this discussion has been remarkably free of the rancor that we
often see.

Well, Truman, I rode a few miles in the SE myself -- about ten thousand or so,
most on the same horse that is still with us.  I started before anyone ever
heard of e-lytes, and along the way I tried about every way known to administer
them, I tried different preparations, and different amounts.  I also paid
attention to what the riders around me were doing.  I've seen the good and the
bad.  I believe that there were occasions that I made it more difficult for
Kahlil, rather than helping him, by misuse of e-lytes.

Nobody on this list has said to never use e-lytes.  I use them today, in
moderation.  We've advocated using them in moderation, with an understanding of
their costs and downsides as well as their benefits, understanding the right way
to use them, adapting your use to the conditions, and using what works for your
own horse.

If people truly want to learn and understand the rolls of electrolytes
the best place for them to start is the ride vets that vet the rides in
the area where they are riding and/or at clinics put on by regional
and/or local distance riding organizations in the areas they are riding.
I've ridden enough in the east, west, north and south to tell you there
are many factors that go into the electrolyte equation. It a big
country. It has climatic zones that go from tropical to arid. The east
coast along runs from Cuba to Canada. The place for new riders to start
understanding the roll and function of electrolyte replacement is from
the folks in the region (and climate) they ride.

We've had people from various Regions posting here, and most of the advice is
NOT to just blindly give them by rote but to understand what you're doing.  That
applies to all Regions and climates.

By all means riders, especially new riders, should consider the advice of vets
at the rides they attend.  Along with other good sources of information, like
this list.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx