Re: [RC] [RC] Ol' Time E'olytes - Truman Prevatt - Truman Prevatt

KimFue@xxxxxxx wrote:

Truman,
Why would you use an inflammatory line like "*Electrolytes are the work of the devil" camps on the Internet." *in your post when you are referring to this discussion of electrolytes. I realize that you did address this to Angie, but why send this to the group when you could have sent this private. 99.9% of this discussion has been very civil and respectful. I have found it very informative and it sounded like others on the list also found it informative.

I've worked many a rides in my day. When you see a horse in stress and new riders telling the vets they didn't give electrolytes because they read they shouldn't on ride camp - it can get a bit frustrating. Here they have some of the best vets in the country they can ask. They have vets that have been vetting rides and treating horses at rides for years in the conditions right there at their disposal, but for some reason they don't bother to take advantage of that knowledge. I've never known a ride vet to not spend time with new riders answering their questions.

But for some reason people are taking their ques from ridecamp. Something just doesn't make sense in this picture. Reading the current incarnation of "electrolytes" - this subject is starting to take on the "religious fervor" of the "barefoot wars" more than the a logical discussion.

If people truly want to learn and understand the rolls of electrolytes the best place for them to start is the ride vets that vet the rides in the area where they are riding and/or at clinics put on by regional and/or local distance riding organizations in the areas they are riding. I've ridden enough in the east, west, north and south to tell you there are many factors that go into the electrolyte equation. It a big country. It has climatic zones that go from tropical to arid. The east coast along runs from Cuba to Canada. The place for new riders to start understanding the roll and function of electrolyte replacement is from the folks in the region (and climate) they ride.

Truman
--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell