Re: [RC] Knee injury - Sisu West Ranch

"...They diagnosed them for a long time before
they got that expensive toy...."

My knee problems happened before the invention of "that expensive toy". After the initial manipulation, the orthopedist decided that he needed more information before deciding if he would operate.

I went into my local hospital to get my knee X-rayed. The guy shows up with a 6 inch 16 gauge needle and proceeds to inject air and fluid into my hurting knee. He then puts it into 6 positions that are very painful to take the X-rays. I passed out a couple of times laying on my back. When it was all over, he told me to stay close to the walls on my way out, cause I might faint. He also warned that I shouldn't do much for a few days until the air absorbed. My knee made rude sounds for a week.

Later Mary Jo, who was a med-tech and very afraid of anesthesia, let it slip that when the North Star (now the Dallas Stars) hockey players came into the hospital for the same thing, they insisted on general anesthesia. I guess that means she thought I am more macho than the average NHL player, NOT!

I tell this story because the alternative to modern diagnostics, is not all that pleasant. While I do think that Drs sometimes waste money by playing defensive medicine, it is my experience that joint problems do need careful workup before deciding on treatment.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875