Re: [RC] Climate response and electrolytes - rdcarrie

> Has anyone introduced hot & humid climates factor = electrolytes?  From the
> posts I've read, seems that a majority of the "no" e-lyte folks live in
> cooler climates.  They don't have the 4 plus months of the "sauna/breathing
> thru a wet sponge heat & humidity experience" we "love & cherish" here in
> Texas.

Yes, many times.

And one Texas rider who rides in that very heat and humidity also chimed
in and mentioned that she found that the problems she was having with
some of her horses was that they did better without e-lytes, while
another one did do better with small doses.

Heat and humidity are not an automatic mantra requiring e-lytes.  The
horses are still individuals, they still should train without e-lytes
so that they acclimate, and their individual needs still need to be
taken into account.  Some need them, some don't, and the rider still
needs to understand what is happening instead of simply thinking th at
just because the horse has issues, it is automatically a need for more
e-lytes.>>

Hi Christy,
Yes, we've discussed our lovely (<TIC>) Texas sauna climate.  As I've mentioned, two of my horses are quite different in their needs.  One does best with minimal elyte suplementation (none during cooler rides, maybe just a bit during hotter rides, depending on what I see during the ride).  The other does better with periodic small doses.  The 5 year old, we'll have to see how he does once he gets started.  But he won't get any till I've had time to see how he does without them, same as my others.  Contrary to what some believe, we don't all automatically start shoving elytes down our horses' throats from day 1, just because it's the thing to do.  I never give elytes during or after conditioning rides, even when going 20 miles during the middle of the day in July or August.  The horses need to adapt to working with elyte deficits, and "training their systems" to be conservative with them.  If you constantly pour elytes in them with every conditoning ride, their b odies don't "learn" to conserve them.

Hope to see you at a ride soon!
Dawn

> Has anyone introduced hot & humid climates factor = electrolytes?  From the
> posts I've read, seems that a majority of the "no" e-lyte folks live in
> cooler climates.  They don't have the 4 plus months of the "sauna/breathing
> thru a wet sponge heat & humidity experience" we "love & cherish" here in
> Texas.

Yes, many times.

And one Texas rider who rides in that very heat and humidity also chimed
in and mentioned that she found that the problems she was having with
some of her horses was that they did better without e-lytes, while
another one did do better with small doses.

Heat and humidity are not an automatic mantra requiring e-lytes.  The
horses are still individuals, they still should train without e-lytes
so that they acclimate, and their individual needs still need to be
taken into account.  Some need them, some don't, and the rider still
needs to understand what is happening instead of simply thinking that
just because the horse has issues, it is automatically a need for more
e-lytes.

Heidi