[RC] The Authority on Electrolytes: Gayle Ecker - Joane Pappas White

Sorry that I didn't turn off my email high tech stuff before I sent this
post---the Ridecamp filter deletes it if I don't shift to Plain Text.  Here
is the information on Gayle that I tried to send earlier today:

From: Joane Pappas White

Date: 03/23/06 12:32:09

To: Ridecamp

Subject: The Authority on Electrolytes: Gayle Ecker

10 years ago, a well known and forward-looking vet who has participated in
some endurance rides as an endurance vet but who is also known to many of us
outside of endurance, told me that the most important thing that had been
learned to prevent treatment for our horses was the use of electrolytes. The
direct quote as I remember it was: "I would get adequate electrolytes into
the horse if I had to tube them in".

Since I was just learning, as many of your are, I had to experiment with
everything. But since I also rode only LD, a little seemed more than
adequate. Then I started crewing for 100 milers, including in the deserts,
and electrolytes became a very serious issue. In 1998 at the WEC in Dubai, I
had the opportunity to meet Gayle Ecker who was doing much of the original
research in electrolytes. She ran a series of "sweat tests" as she tried to
get enough information on each horse to see how that particular horse's
chemistry was handling the electrolyte balance during the ride. She
described her project as "designer electrolytes" and my project, growing
Natural herbs in my hay, as "designer hay". Her goal for Team Canada was to
have literally a custom created electrolyte mixture for each horse. She was
a speaker at Reno and gave us some of her conclusions in 2005 and you should
be able to find that speech as well but I have located one of her articles
for you and its link follows.

I would suggest that those of you who are new, get to know Gayle's work as
well as everything that Susan Garlinghouse has on her website concerning
nutrition, dehydration and metabolic pulls. It will bring you up to speed
fast.

It is very interesting to see the current trend away from electrolyte use
now but I think, as in all things, we are going to find that Moderation in
all things is essential.

Gayle's 2002 article:

http://www.octra.on.ca/articles/Dehydration.php

Susan's website: