Fw: [RC] Cycling, running, riding - Keith Kibler

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Cycling, running, riding

I am a newbie to endurance and my first organized ride is in May. My longest ride in training to date is 31 miles and longest week is 116. However I have way more experiance in long distance triathlon, running and biking. For instance I am supposed to be preparing for my 6th year of a 500 mile bicycle event in late July. So, that is where my prespective is at.
 So, then to your question.
  Yes. To me it is the same. Besides the enormous similarities in training, (Both theory of increasing load, rest, nourshment etc between you as the athlete and the horse as the athlete) the other major similarity to me is the tremendous power of your own expectations.  I have done 30 mile bike rides that have just plain wore me out. Yet I have done 500 mile rides that went like a brease. The difference? To me it was largely that I fully expected to do the 500 mile with flying colors and a smile on my face.
  I hope this makes sense to some one other than myself.
Keith