[RC] [RC] Low-tech riding - Lucky6mule - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have never ridden with a GPS, HRM, or any other electronic
gadgets.  Heck, I finally just got my first cell phone at Xmas.
Up until about a year ago, I always rode by myself.  I had a lot
of time to get 'in tune' with my horse, and I can tell by the way
he is moving and acting if there is a problem.  I am not a horse
expert by any means, but I have spent enough time alone with him
on the trail to observe his attitude and reactions to stress and
being tired to know when he is starting to overdo it. In regards
to e-lytes, I go through about one tube of Enduromax about every
4-5 months.  For a long training ride (20+ miles), I will put
about a quarter inch shot of e-lyte from the tube (sorry, don't
know the exact measurement) into his mix of beet pulp and then
add water to soak the beet pulp.  The e-lyte is then dissolved
into the water and he gets it when he eats the pulp.  I never
give it to him by itself.  If I do a 30 or 50, I put the about
two thirds of an inch into his beet pulp the night before, and
another quarter inch the morning of.  That's it.  I have noticed
that, although he drinks good on the trail anyway, he drinks a
little more often after having the e-lytes.  For smaller rides,
I don't give him any at all.  Before I gave him the e-lyte 'shot'
on the longer rides, he would get B's on his hydration at the vet
check. With it, he gets A's. Might be due to some other variable
and have nothing to do with the e-lytes (he is getting such a
tiny dose) but I do like that he drinks on the trail more with
it.

Lauretta and Shaba (what are e-lytes?)