Re: [RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 3/23/2006 8:19:23 AM Central Standard Time, trailyaya@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The best piece of information I've seen come out of this discussion is "observe your own horse first" -- but I have to tell you, that requires some major bravery down here in hot, humid Texas.  Not to e-lyte is going against the central region religion.

Beth,
In order to do this, one needs to make sure they are starting out slow (not riding with their hair on fire), so that their horse has time to learn proper behavior - eating and drinking.  And thus the horse is less likely to get in trouble.  If the horse isn't drinking well, seems to be cramping up a little, etc., then by all means give some elytes.  If it's a horribly hot humid ride like so many we have here in Texas, then sure, you might want to go ahead and give elytes.  Just because you give some at one ride, doesn't mean you have to give them at all rides.  Play around with it, and ride slowly enough that you can evaluate your horse and make adjustments before he/she crosses the line into trouble.  Our CT region vets push elytes (and I believe, rightly so) partly because our climate gets so many horses into trouble due to people not riding appropriately for conditions.  Giving elytes can help horses have a bit more of a buffer against stupid riders.  And then again, some horses get in trouble in spite of the best efforts of caring riders.  It's a damn tough climate to compete in here for most of the year.

Dawn in East Texas