Re: [RC] Abusing Horse - rides2far

But, anyway, when I arrived back home my
husband accused be of abusing my horse by riding such rides.  I have
an arabian mare she is a little over 14 hands but she is pretty
stocky. I am a heavyweight rider and my husband feels that it is
abuse to ride her even 25  miles.

There's no way I can comment on *you* since I've never seen you ride, or
your horse, etc. However, I can sure say weight is *not* everything!
This weekend I saw a horse carrying a good little rider, around 75 lbs
(including tack) and that horse got a sore back, apparently because
they'd clipped his back and it caused it to sore him. Meanwhile, we
*barely* passed a 14.2 Arab who was ahead of us all day, carrying OVER
300 LBS!. The man riding him is not fat, he's just a giant. My guess is
6'7" and strong built.  I did see him off and leading it up the huge
hill, but in general, they just cruised along. (this is in the 50!)  I
will pull photographs of the 2 riders off the video we took and send them
to you to show your husband. :-)  Granted, you can overload a horse, but
saddle fit, equitation, and so many other things matter just as much. If
you've got 200 lbs spread out over 50 square inches, or 125 pressing down
on 10 square inches of an illfitting saddle, which is worse? What if the
200 pounder is riding very fluidly, rising and falling gently and the 125
pounder is smacking the seat each time they come down? What if an 85
pounder has a saddle that sits on 2 spots the size of quarters in front
and they 2 point the whole way?

If you're truly concerned, ask some friends. Simply say, "Do you think
I'm too much for my horse to carry, should I hunt a different horse?" and
see their response. Ask an *experienced* endurance vet...not just some
guy who's guessing.  If I knew someone that I *really* did think was too
big for their horse, I would have a hard time going up and telling them,
but if they asked, it would be easy to encourage them to get a different
one. If you're a good rider, chances are that your horse was more
comfortable than many a horse carrying a lighter rider.

Angie