[RC] Jl comment on "equipment" - L gin

When he said this , he was explaining his methods , he meant , less is more -- or simpler for him. He started training this way, because the discipline he was in , said you "also" needed , to use harsher and hasrsher bits, tiedowns, whips, bigger and bigger spurs, etc. He meant people were relying on the "perfect " piece of equipment, rather than spending time , breaking down their training lessons and planning a lesson better.
He suggests and has a written form , helping people to organize and plan out thier lessons for what ever their goal is. Now someone who has lots of experience and years of training thier horses may not need this. It is aimed , perhaps at people who own one or just a few horses and are wanting to learn , how to teach/train thier horses to perform better.
I was writing quickly, and condensing things down, and did not mean to mis- represent him.
He admits he is still learning and refining , and has changed his ways of training too. He had evolved out of some of his earlier methods ,a nd refined or improved on, and readily admits that.
He himself says adn his materails mention you do not need a round pen (that was orginally intended for more of the western range horse who hadn't been handled much)--- but you can do the groundwork with nothing more than a halter or bridle and leadrope.
He also doesn't cut down other trainers or methods necessarily. He says "Well, there are lots of ways around the barn, and all of them may work, some or all the time, with some horses." .He then just offers to teach you his. He also says "if you keep doing the same thing,and you get the same result, and don't want it, try something else, at least you know what doesn't work". --Which I think is a very important concept.
I have used some "equipment' like side reins and tried a few different bits, and a lounge rope. But I then found I could do the same thing with the bridle , halter and reins or leadrope. It was simpler and it was easier to give the horse an instant release, and there was less risk of the horse getting hurt. I can teach a horse to give to the bit , by standing next to him using a rein, and giving steady pressure , then suddenly releasing.--Or I can put him in sidereins and lunge or grounddrive him--which increase the risk, he could POSSIBLY panic, and go over before I could release the sidereins , tiedown,Chambons(or is it Champons--Spelliing escapes me and I am NOT going to go look it up ;0)--- I repeat I am not a trainer I just am working with mine----

I personally like him and admire his methods. I was just repling to someone asking about his methods a trainer many or may not have used, and how it may work for dressage. I am not a dressage trainer , I have had lessons and watched some,and my daughter and I worked for a couple barns and some were teaching dressage.She rode in some 3 day eventing trails and I have watched some both at shows and on tape. I have a few dressage books< iI like to read alot.
I too am interested in dressage-- but there is good and bad---and I don't care for any riding or training, showing that is causing pain, fear and permanent damage for $$ or ribbion, what bothers me , may not bother others. ---I am somewhere in the middle between a "Bambi-ite", and someone who throws away horses on a regular basis.
It was not meant as an attack on others---I admire your contributions very much--- but I am diffenitely not an admirer of the Germans' methods. (a friend/ trainer went over there for a couple months and worked with them and she felt like they treat horses like machinery).
My last 2 cents, unless I accidently mis-represent someone. Laurie