[RC] Recommendations for low cost English saddle? - Carolyn Burgess

Karen:

Yup, I do.  You should get a used Collegiate Senior Event Saddle.  It is an all purpose saddle.  Get one that is the old style, made before Millers, Eisers, Whitman and Foxwoods imploded (about 4 - 5 years ago).  It is not the one with the adjustable gullet, it has a wooden tree.  My Standardbred rides in a Tucker medium tree and uses a wide tree in the Collegiate Senior Event.  I just bought one used, from tacktrader.com, for $400.  It is in emaculate condition and black, a very hard to find color, which is why it cost me $400.  My seat size is 18 1/2", which is also a desirable seat size, so you pay a little more.  If you are a 17 1/2" or less, you can get these saddles on EBAY or other used sites (tacktrader.com, equine.com, etc.) for around $300 plus shipping, and they will be in good condition.  The one thing about these saddles too is that there is a robust used market.  As long as you take care of the saddle, you should be able to sell it in a year or two for the same price as you bought it for.

Carolyn Burgess

"Karen L." <klynd47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on taking some basic English riding lessons and need some recommendations on a low cost basic English saddle.  I know very little about English saddles.  I have a Tucker Endurance saddle that I love, so this English saddle will not be used for much more than taking lessons and practicing.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a low cost but decent English saddle?

My horse is 1/2 Arabian, 1/2 Saddlebred and physically takes after his Saddlebred side more (with a pretty Arab head).  He has medium withers and a slightly sloping back.  He takes a medium Tucker tree, which translates into quarterhorse bars in a western saddle.  I am a heavyweight but now almost middleweight rider.

Any suggestions?  By low cost I am thinking $300 or less.  Does such a saddle exist?  And yes, I know you get what you pay for.  :-)

Thank you!
Karen