Re: Enzymes (was Re: [RC] Oats - Sisu West Ranch

"....(created by bacteria present in raw milk, but not pasteurized)
that aids digestion of the milk sugar lactose, and so some lactose intolerant
individuals can drink non-pasteurized fermented milk produc..."

The key is "fermented". The most common fermented milk product sold in USA is Yogert. It is wholesome, and can be eaten by some who do not tolerate milk. Traditional yogert made from raw milk, also usually had a really rotten odor. Modern yogert is made from pasturized milk, with the addition of the proper strain of bacteria that ferments without producing a foul odor.

The almost certainty of bacterial growth in "raw" milk is the basis for our local and national food health laws in respect to dairy products. Before these laws, many people got extremely sick, from dairy products.

In most states raw milk products can only be sold under extremely limited conditions. I have a friend who's family makes great raw milk cheeze in MN. Because of the laws, they only use milk that is produced on their own farm, and they also make the cheeze on the farm. They used to purchase some milk from neighbors, but found that between the government restrictions, and the extreme care required to produce safe raw milk, it was no longer practical.

This is another area where our much maligned government and its regulations have improved the health of people in our country. Have you ever heard of someone who contacted TB from dairy products? It used to happen.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875