[RC] trot/canter/condish - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Diane Day fourdays@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From Dreamweaver:
Over the years, I have found that overall if I keep my horses at a 10 mph or
lower rate of speed on rides, that I will keep them injury free.  I have done a
lot of miles well above that speed, and depending on the horse, they do just
fine at it, as long as they are prepared for it.  It takes a long time to build
up to being able to do that without hurting them though.
Every horse I have ridden has a cutoff point at which they are more comfortable
going to a canter from a trot.  They are all different, and that cutoff speed
will change as they get more and more fit or experienced.  I try to not stay in
one gait or one diagonal or lead for any length of time, that way I can work
the different muscles and keep them from getting sore (or so that's the theory)
;)

Thank you Karen for your reply - I am needing this particular info just now. I
did 2 25 miles and 1 30 mile ride this past year, my first year in AERC. My
horse is 14 and is a well rounded kind of guy - dressage/driving background -
and in the past 3 years lots of trail miles.  At the last ride - the 30 miler,
I let him trot and canter (7 mph aver I think) the whole ride whereas before I
held him to a walk/trot,which he just hated.  He loves to go and I think would
go forever but one of his trots is faster than my daughter's barrel racer's
lope. I am just not sure know how long to let him go. His recoveries are great
- I have never checked his HR while riding though. (am way too
techno-dysfunctional to use the wired up deals) For this upcoming season, I am
going to be riding 6-8 miles every 2nd or third day at the trot with maybe a
mile or two at the canter. Hopefully on weekends, do a longer ride, again
alternating gaits. Just recently, I learned via my farrier about two women whom
he said were endurance riders, about 30 minutes away. So I met up with them for
a ride.  Well they don't do formal races per se but they had very fast Arabs
who they take out twice a week and "run"  When confronted with such a
competition, Cadence was not about to be left behind - but I was very concerned
that to take him and run him at length was not good. When I realized they were
not going to rate the ride, I asked them to keep at a canter, especially as
there was more sand than he is used to. They did but it was obvious they prefer
to just flat out gallop the whole way. They kept saying "dont worry,he's not
even breathing hard." I am not in this sport to ride fastest or best - yet I
have a horse who wants to move out. As long as his recoveries are good and I
have ridden him LSD during the week as well, should I be doing these 8-10 mile
canters with these ladies as part of his training?  I love having someone to
ride with but I dont want to put him at risk. I would like to do 50's this
year. Would some of you like to describe a typical week as you get ready for
the spring rides?  What mileage do you do - how often. At what point do you
decide to let them canter for longer lengths? If he doesnt get winded, & is not
using accessory muscles -HR comes down good, are we okay to go? He's a pretty
savvy horse at this point, can I let him determine his own speed? As long as
he's not in a competitive situation, he will rate himself; if I let him decide,
he'll move from his lovely 7mph trot, into his driving trot that sends me to
the moon & then into a canter.  He'll stay there a couple of miles but then
come down again eventually,(though never back to a walk on his own accord) Can
I let him do this and then just add miles to get him ready?
Thanks,DianeD