[RC] trot/canter - Carolyn Burgess

I have to disagree with this.  Now, if you talking about going out for a "hack", then yes, I concur.  I am one of those riders who can't stand going around in circles in the ring.  I'll be up in the ring working away, thinking I've been there for a LONG time and I'll look at my watch and 5 minutes has elapsed.  Five torturous minutes.  I will only work in the ring if it is a safely issue.  I do all of my training on the trail.  I do dressage work on the trail, I do lead changes, bending, gait changes, anything you can do in the ring, I do on the trail.  It also teaches them that just because we are doing a ride, doesn't mean that I won't ask for collection, lead changes, different diagonals, etc.

Carolyn Burgess

mkrumlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I don't believe you should use the trail to *teach* your horse the
correct leads and diagonals.