Re: [RC] Canter Leads/Trot - Truman Prevatt

k s swigart wrote:

Beverly Kane said:

Please see Truman's message of 6:39 AM today. He really
says it all, especially the part about getting your communication
down in the arena.

I didn't see Truman's message; however, I cannot agree that this is something to "get down" in the arena. The trail is the ideal place for a horse to learn this. On the trail, you ask for canter departs, lead changes, shifts in diagonal, or whatever, when the trail/terrain requires it, then, if the horse doesn't listen to you (or doesn't understand because it hasn't learned it yet), the TRAIL will correct the horse for you and explain to the horse why it should have changed leads or whatever.

What I think I said was something like if the horse doesn't have the experience to know what canter depart to pick up consistently from the que or doesn't have the strength and/or balance to do so consistently under all conditions then you should be working on this on the trail and in some cases back in the ring.

I agree that the trail is a better place to school in this respect since the trail is the final goal. However, in some cases the consistent footing of the ring and the tools one can have at ones disposal (ground rails, etc.) in the ring make going back to the ring first the better choice to hone the skill a little better and then take it out on the trail to refine it for the trail.

Truman

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

- Albert Einstein