Re: [RC] Suspensory Injuries//Prevented by Riding Lessons - Truman Prevatt

Don Huston wrote:

Many people don't even know what a diagonal is. They haven't had
a lesson in their life and they just ride and post. I've ridden
with lots of people who are clueless about diagonals and wouldn't
know which one they were on much less which lead their horse is
on. Its sad but true. (thank you mom and dad for all those riding
lessons.....;-)
--------Karla Watson/Oregon

Now this is the most blatant example of sexual discrimination against men ever. My folks never gave me riding lessons and none of my buddies ever got riding lessons. Only my sister got riding lessons. Our folks just assumed that us guys knew how to ride cause we were boys so we got hole digging lessons and mowing lessons and that's discrimination. Now I come out to horseplay with ya'all and you diamond-lovin little fluff bunnies (according to Chevy) run all over me, leave me in the dust, insult my diagonals (whatever they are) and then tell me I ain't never gonna get to lead cause I don't even know what lead is what. Now that's just really mean like I think I've hit the glass ceiling of endurance. I've been wronged and prevented from succeeding buy a conspiracy of good-old-gals who have had riding lessons and then refuse to tell us what the hell is this diagonal stuff!? Signed: "vertical or horizontal(that usually hurts) sometimes but never diagonal or in the lead" Don Huston :-)

Careful Don,

They are already riled up over what the investigative reporting in the Chevy ad exposed. You are, however, absolutely correct. Many times the girls in the family will get swimming lessons - while the boys will be thrown in to sink or swim. Many times the girls in the family will get riding lessons - while the boys are thrown in the saddle, the horse slapped on the ass and they hang on or else.

While in college my last two summers I ran the swimming program at a large lake park in Northwest Indiana. I can tell you we could always tell those people that had good swimming lessons and those that didn't and yes there were many more boys that didn't than girls. The girls on a whole were much better swimmers. Thier strokes were much more efficient and they could swim farther with little expense of energy. It would normally take a month's worth of lessons to undo the bad habits and teach people how to swim correctly so they were actually making forward progress rather than thrashing water. I don't want to talk about how many guys we went after in between the shallow water rope and the diving platform - mostly guys who were strong as an ox but were such inefficient swimmers they just couldn't make it 50 meters. Our life guards were told to watch someone as they left the rope area on the first couple of strokes and get the boat ready if it looked like they would not make it. It was so obvious most of the time, we had the boat there to meet them about half way and had them hold on to the boat as we took them back to the rope. Of course most of what we pulled out were guys that didn't get lessons.

The same is true for horse back riding - and it does show up in endurance. You can follow someone and tell pretty quickly. All is not lost my friend. It's not too late. Swallow your pride and go take dressage lessons on your horse. Not only will you ride better and your horse go better and last longer but you'll meet a lot of cool chicks since you'll be the only guy there.

Truman

Looking for a place to hide since the girls are home shoe shopping and are busy putting on their warpaint ;-) .

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

- Albert Einstein