Re: [RC] gaited arabs? - Karen Sullivan

i recently trained a paint horse for a friend of mine.  she was watching me ride one of my paso finos and asked if i could teach her paint horse how to do that.  i told her, sorry, it is in the hard wiring.  if i could teach it to a horse, i would have a corner on the market.   ed

*I'm not sure about that, Ed.  I have had three horses now that taught themselves to gait because I was really consistent in not allowing jigging.....they discovered if they "gaited" they could go faster and get to the front of the group.  The Arab and Arab/Morgan learned how to singlefoot; the Anglo Arab does a broken pace.  Who has ever heard of a gaited Anglo?  A friends Rushcreek gelding also does a broken pace, and I have seen another friends
little polish gelding do it too....

The Arab/walker I had did not gait....but had a very fast walk, nice trot and very, very smooth canter.

I had a Foxtrotter for awhile, I really did not enjoy the foxtrot and that convinced me to stick to trotting horses.
However, I do like a very fast walk/gait.

Karen