RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] Branding - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

I used to tattoo my sheep. I found it difficult , if not impossible. to read the tattoos in dead animals so I switched to ear tags even though they lose some.   Libby
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jackie Causgrove
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 3:43 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] Branding

Hi
I think it has a lot to do with the tatooer (is that the correct word?).  Some lip tatoos on the Tb's are easy to read and some where just ink spots; even at a young age.  On the older horses, most of the tatoos fade and are difficult to read.
I had a German Shep female that came ear tatooed from her breeder and that reamined clear.  All other ear tatooes in my dogs have been ink spots.
However, these are just my observations.  I never personally tatooed anything in my life.  I've just received them that way.  :)
So, maybe others here have a more definative answer.

Ya, the chips can migrate, a lot.  And the vet has to have the correct wnad in order to read the chip.
But then again, no system is perfect.

Jackie

Lacy Jae <lacykitten@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jackie,

Is tattooing clearer on horses than it is on other animals?

I have a cat that was tattooed when she was spayed, in the ear, and it
is completely unreadable now (she's 12-16 years now I think).

I also just got a dog that's been separated from it's breeder, a
purebred with a breeder tattoo on his stomach, and it's really dang
hard to read.

They fade and smudge quite easily on most dogs and cats I guess, vets
these days seem to HATE tattoos, and are all pushing microchips,
because even if the chips move around, they check half the dog or cat
looking for it.

-Lacy

--
"Loyalty to a petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul."
- Mark Twain