Re: [RC] gaited arabs? - Laney Humphrey

I owned an arab who taught himself to singlefoot because I wouldn't let him trot going home. I owned another one who jigged for 20 miles once. He probably could have learned to gait if I'd had him long enough to encourage it. The arab I own now has a really slow walk so I decided, during Day 2 of the Bryce Canyon ride last year, that I would teach him to gait in order to speed him up. He did learn he had to walk faster but I doubt he'd ever learn to gait because he just isn't built for it. My Spanish Mustang gets accused of being a Tennessee Walker but had a great trot and would never learn to gait. Each horse is different!
Laney

Karen Sullivan wrote:

i recently trained a paint horse for a friend of mine. she was
watching me ride one of my paso finos and asked if i could teach her
paint horse how to do that. i told her, sorry, it is in the hard
wiring. if i could teach it to a horse, i would have a corner on
the market. ed
*I'm not sure about that, Ed. I have had three horses now that
taught themselves to gait because I was really consistent in not
allowing jigging.....they discovered if they "gaited" they could go
faster and get to the front of the group. The Arab and Arab/Morgan
learned how to singlefoot; the Anglo Arab does a broken pace. Who
has ever heard of a gaited Anglo? A friends Rushcreek gelding also
does a broken pace, and I have seen another friends
little polish gelding do it too....
The Arab/walker I had did not gait....but had a very fast walk, nice
trot and very, very smooth canter.
I had a Foxtrotter for awhile, I really did not enjoy the foxtrot
and that convinced me to stick to trotting horses.
However, I do like a very fast walk/gait.
Karen