[RC] Speed w/ Holds - Aaron Turnage

I'm wondering how much of this "speed difference" is more of a regional difference.  Although I haven't done any multidays, I have done a few West Region one-day 50's that only had ONE hold, or maybe a short 15 min tack-on hold and then a full hour lunch stop.  This is pretty common at the rides I have been too.  I also have done rides with 3 holds, two shorter holds and a longer lunch stop.  I had a much longer ride time at those rides than at the others.

Truman and Angie both mentioned stopping to let their horses eat on the trail.  Here in NV, there isn't much natural forage available.  You CAN stop and let them munch for a little while, but the pickings are pretty slim.  Rather, I carry carrots or other goodies for my boy and he get's to "eat" when we stop for water, I get a drink and we're walking, etc.  He can turn and grab a carrot from my hand and keep going down the trail at a trot.  Only takes about a 1/2 second...  When I'm off walking, he's usually eating something as well, usually 1/2 of what I'm having.  =)  Karen mentions the "grab and go" technique.  I'm sure they all get pretty good at that too.  "Look, there's a long bunch of grass/weeds, quick, grab a bite and let's go."

The other things with holds is I'm still new to the sport and not very effecient yet!  =)  I never seem to get out at the exact "Out" time, and take at least a few minutes to get pulsed in usually (water, drink, sponge, pull tack if needed, etc).  So from my (limited) experience, I would strongly venture that more holds has a definate LONGER affect on my ride time.

~ Crysta & Sinatra, if you can't be fast, you might as well look good!  =)