Re: [RC] Horse Deaths - DVeritas

In a message dated 2/24/2005 7:24:38 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, Bruce Weary writes:
Maybe Jim should don
his black arm band, march down to his local county coroner's
office and demand to see all recent coroner's reports and death
certificates. After studying them, he could proceed to browbeat
each dead individual's doctor for not having taken better
care of the deceased.
From my take, I believe (as an organization) we need to be accountable for the lives of our horses.  Not as an abrogation of rider responsibility, but as a governing body, concerned with any death linked to, directly or indirectly, the participation in the sport of endurance.

Any death, whether due to a preexisting condition, overriding,  or just bad luck needs to be taken into account and records kept, whether for the perusal of membership or AERC committees.  The ability to cite a "cause of death" is (as John Bass talked about) the thing.

If that is being done, fine...but "access" to that information should be available.
I believe most deaths cannot be attributed to "overriding" or "rider zeal and insensitivity"...but,
I believe Jim just wants the information made available.
That he is passionate about it is how expresses his concerns...so what.
The number of members on this list who feel "passionate" about this or that is myriad...again, probably not a bad thing.
When we take to flippancy and dismissal of opinions as a standard way of doing things, this forum kind of loses his some of its value.

I believe Laura Hayes is the right person, in the right place, at the right time to make this happen.

My opinions,
   ~Frank