Re: [RC] Question - heidi

Please Reply to: John Bass jbass@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Vet Committee makes a report on a horse fatality.
How much information is expected without a necropsy?
Must be difficult to pinpoint a cause without one (a necropsy).
Anything else is just speculation.

It depends.  A handful of the deaths I've had to report have been due to
accidents resulting in fractures, and the horse was subsequently
euthanized.  Does not take a necropsy to determine those....

Did have one that was not necropsied, and collapsed and died pretty much
instantly--all physical signs consistent with an aneurysm, and not much
else could have caused that particular sort of death.  Would have liked a
post, but am pretty comfortable with that one.

In other sorts of cases, yes, a necropsy is the best way to go.

I hate to see mandatory necropsies, because there can be circumstances
that make them tough to get done.  But most of the time, they are
do-able--and I think AERC could do a lot to facilitate having them done.
I've been begging for years for the vet committee (or maybe now the HWC)
to put together some sort of packet that the head vet could send on with
horses referred out to clinics for treatment that explains AERC's desire
to have information, and also states that AERC WILL PAY FOR IT along with
appropriate billing information.  Some riders don't want to add the extra
expense along with what already may be a big bill, and they also often are
not in a frame of mind to think about AERC's data collection.  Most times,
this is $200-$300 or so, and since we don't have all that many any given
year, this would not break the bank and would be a good way for AERC to
spend some of those "surplus" funds that people talk about all the time.
Just my nickel's worth...

Heidi