[RC] Horse Deaths - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree, John. Jim's entire upset seems to imply
he feels there is some "hidden" cause of death at rides
that the Vet Committee is aware of but wants to keep
from us as part of an evil clandestine plan. These deaths,
from what I have seen and read and heard from talking to
the vets and ride managers are a mix of different
factors, sometimes involving poor rider judgement,but some might have occurred
anyway from the
effects of different stressors the horse was exposed to.
At any rate, the best method of keeping horses alive, is to
have them carry informed riders who undertand the limitations
of horses, and recognize the early,subtle signs of distress
that horses show when they aren't feeling well.These informed riders
would,ideally, know how to train,feed, and care for a horse properly, and know
what level of effort their horse is capable of at any given time and ride
within those confines.
 Equine life is precious. Arguably, the lives of humans (most
of 'em, anyway) is even more precious. Maybe Jim should don
his black arm band, march down to his local county coroner's
office and demand to see all recent coroner's reports and death
certificates. After studying them, he could proceed to browbeat
each dead individual's doctor for not having taken better
care of the deceased.
 The responsiblity lies with the rider. Thank God AERC requires
the presence of well trained vets at each ride, who will bust
their a** to save the life of my horse that I have been entirely
in charge of, and have, wittingly or not, exposed to a variety
of strssors, including an endurance ride.  Bruce Weary