Re: [RC] Help for Herniated Discs -- lumbar - Chris Paus

Kristene, I had a similar situation, years ago, when i started distance riding. I herniated a lower lumbar disk. It was so painful, I spent a summer drugged on pain medication. I was afraid I'd never walk again, let alone ride. I couldnt' bend over to tie my shoes, I couldn't even bend over the sink to brush my teeth. Everything was excruciating. The MRI showed a herniated disk with a piece of disk material pressing on a nerve root.

But my orthopedist also suggested we go the PT route first before looking at surgery or other options. I was religious in going to PT three times a week and doing the exercises at home. The therapist told me that herniated disks will heal. They won't go back to the same shape they were before the injury, but they do heal. In three months I was pretty mobile again. In four months I was back in teh saddle, albeit at a walk on a gentle horse. The next spring, I had bought my endurance horse, Star, and started our distance career.

There were times my back hurt pretty bad that first year. I found if I wore a back brace it helped... I sewed a little pouch in the back of the brace so I could put a cold pack in there. That really helped my back while I rode. I kept doing my exercises and healed.

I also went to a chiro when the acuteness of the injury subsided, and continue to go about once a month.

It still hurts now and then, usually when i'm getting lazy and forget to do my exercises.

Last summer, I went through something similar with my neck. I herniated a cervical disk. Went back to PT and got better.

I had to miss a couple of rides while I was healing, but I was back at it pretty quickly.

chris

Kristene Smuts <Ksmuts@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was diagnosed with it beginning of last year. Explored all my
options and surgery was NOT an option. Did rigorous physio and was out
of riding for 6-8 weeks. Now I have to just be careful in what I do -
not pick up heavy things (I can still carry a 50kg bag of whole oats
though! ;-)) ), ride with a kidney belt, careful how I bend and pick up
things. It's a lifestyle change to a degree, but like with anything, if
you're keen on riding, you make those changes!

Kristene
South Africa

--
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING

The contents of this e-mail and any accompanying documentation are confidential and any use thereof, in whateverform, by anyone other than the addressee is strictly prohibited.

This message contains information intended solely for the addressee, which is confidential and private in nature and subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or any file attached to this message.

Any such unauthorized use is prohibited and unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the original message from your machine.

Furthermore, the information contained in this message, and any attachments thereto, is for information purposes only and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the views and opinions of South African Rail Commuter Corporation (SARCC) Limited or its subsidiary. SARCC therefore does not accept liability for any claims, loss or damages of whatsoever nature, arising as a result of the reliance on such information by anyone.